Friday, August 29, 2008

Fullfilling Week

We have just completed our third week of home school. This week we focused on phonics, math, handwriting, and read alouds. My son's phonics studies are really going well. Last year we really hit some walls with reading and phonics, so we took a summer break(3 months). This seemed to really help. He is ready now and anxious to start reading. We are using Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons by Siegfried Engelmann. We tried other programs without success. This is a perfect fit for my ds.
We are on our third Little House book, On the Banks of Plum Creek. My ds truly loves these books.
After our torture of a first week of home school, we took a more relaxed approach. We achieved much. I am more relaxed, my ds is more relaxed. We are enjoying our learning time together.
We start with AO on Tuesday. Excitement, nervousness abounds.
I am still not overly happy with our children's Bible book. I have tried three and they seem to be toooo watered down. I will keep looking.
I have found a couple of devotional books that we enjoy, Little Visits With God by Allan Hart Jahsmann and Martin P. Simon. It was first written in 1957. It has a short devotional with Scripture readings, questions, and a prayer. Quite a gem. For my little toddlers, Focus on the Family has a devotional book called Playtime Devotions written by Christine Harder Tangvald. The twins love this book.
I hope this past week has been a blessed week for everyone. Remember to follow Him in all you do.

2 comments:

Swylv said...

do you follow with the penny gardner Bible sections? if so, just read straight from the Bible or I did like some of the stories from http://www.mainlesson.com/display.php?author=hurlbut&book=bible&story=_contents

hth

Blessed Mommy said...

Thanks. I will look these up today.