Thursday, February 4, 2010

Book Recommendations and Home School Update


Above are just a few books we are enjoying right now.

Henry David's House is a book that touches on the value
of living life simply and slowly using adaptations
of Thoreau's own words.

The Gift of the Tree is about a dead oak tree
and the many gifts it gave to others.

Butterfly Eyes is a book of poetry riddles
of the meadow. My son enjoyed trying to solve the riddles.
This book guided us towards nature study too.
We will be looking to purchase
this book for our home library.

As for our home school reads, we are currently
studying the colonies for American history.
We have almost completed the Landing of the Pilgrims.
This is a historical/historical fiction book about the
Plymouth pilgrims. We have enjoyed this book so
much that we purchased the whole 10 volume set
of Landmarks of American History- the 1950 edition.
Next, we plan on reading
Stories of the Pilgrims by Margaret B. Pumphrey
and Little Pilgrims Promise by Helen L Taylor
from John Bunyan's Classic- The Pilgrim's Progress.
After these, we will look for some books
about the Indians. Their experiences with the
strangers who landed on their shores.

As for reading/phonics....
We finally made it through
Teach Your Child to Read in 1oo Easy Lessons.
We are now on readers.
The American Schoolhouse Reader is what we are using.
My son seems to be enjoying them.
They are gentle and build on one another.

Our studies of World History has us reading
about Ancient Egypt.
Lots of fun and very interesting.

Moving right along in our Apologia-
Exploring Creation with Astronomy.
We are on the Earth.
Tonight my hubby got out the flashlight
and the globe and they talk about
the Sun and the tilt of Earth.

Started a whole new math curriculum.
We are now using Math-U-See.
Did not know where to start my son,
so just to be safe we started with the primer.
Most of the concepts my son knows,
but the process is different.
We are doing about 3 lessons a day.
I am sure we will not keep that pace
for to long.
So far, so good. We watch the video,
we then review on either a whiteboard or chalk board
til I am sure he understands.
Next he does the problems in the workbook.
I am not a big workbook fan,
but this seems to work for my son.
He actually is enjoying math.

Well, that is all for now. Lots I did not cover,
but this post is already long enough.
Thank you for patience.
Til next time.
Many blessings

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Love those books!!! I am going to look through our library for them. Your schedule looks great. We use Math U See. One thing I am learning is that every program/curriculum has positives and a few negatives. I am always looking to see what it out there but yours looks good and solid. I really enjoying pulling together different ideas from different places to make it our own.

Michelle said...

Do you have a good book about artists and their paintings? I would love to find a book that grouped famous paintings all together, so we could look through at any time and see really good works of art instead of piecing them together from various sources.

Valerie Stills said...

Love the book run down. I'm starting on this homeschool adventure again and needed some ideas about books. Thanks!

Hen Jen said...

sounds like really nice homeschooling going on at your place! We use math U see at our house.

Unknown said...

I really like what you are doing! Pity we're not American ;-) because then I would use all those lovely book recommendations when I finally decide to become a little more "formal"!
I'm realising that it is so important to take things slowly and to find your own rhythm means not casting things in stone and saying: This is the method or curriculum I'll follow forever. But learning to take one day/month/term and year at a time means letting relationships come first AND not letting a curriculum be the ruler of our time and relationships! I think that this is what the Lord wants most for US as a family at the moment!

Deborah said...

Just popping in to see how you and family are going in homeschooling and life. :)