Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Food and Traditions


What are your Christmas traditions for food?

This year we are hoping to start a new one for our family.
We are having a brunch on Christmas Eve
with my Mom
this year because my youngest sister works 3-11
on Christmas Eve.
My hubby and I are excited.
Not that we are excited my sister has to work, but
this leaves Christmas Eve for the children and us, alone.
We plan on cooking hot dogs and box mac and cheese.
We will watch a Christmas movie and eat sugar cookies.
The children will put out the milk and cookies
for Santa and the carrots for the reindeer.
Before bed we will read the Christmas story
from the Bible with our Advent candles lit.
We will say a prayer.
Then off to bed early for the children.
Hubby and I will enjoy some together time
under our tree.
I think I might like this new tradition.

Christmas day, I always cook a rib roast
with roasted potatoes, carrots, and onions.
Also, some roasted asparagus with parmesan cheese.
There will be a rhubarb pie for dessert.
Simple, no casseroles to mix, just the oven
and we have two.
This allows mommy time to play with the
family.

Now, we do make lots of goodies to share during the
Christmas holidays- decorated sugar cookies, reindeer bark,
peppermint patties, coconut rum balls, coconut macaroons,
chocolate dipped pretzels, chocolate dipped crackers with peanut butter,
etc, etc, etc.
But, these are made around the 20th and nibbled
on throughout the week.
At the brunch at my Mom's, each family will bring home
a big tin of goodies, yum.

I enjoy having traditions.
Traditions make beautiful childhood memories.
Here's to tradition.

No comments: