Monday, July 14, 2008

Cookbook Recommendation

A Return to Sunday Dinner by Russell Cronkhite.

I bought this cookbook last Fall. I have made several of the recipes and they all came out delicious. It then got lost on the shelf with all of my other cookbooks. I have many.

I recently took this cookbook down off my shelf. I am glad I did. I had forgotten not only the quality of the recipes, but what the cookbook was all about. The cookbook talks of a time past, of The Sunday Dinner. Throughout the cookbook there are lots of quotes from people telling of their memories of the Sunday dinner. There are quotes from the Bible. Many memories came to my mind.

Why have we gotten away from the Sunday dinner over the last two months? Is it because the summer months seem to be sooo busy? My husband and I talked about this on Saturday and we really could not pin point when started it. When we stopped and why. But, we decided it was time to get it back. First, we called dear friend to join us for dinner. Then I started planning the dinner.

What joy having Sunday dinner was. I put a tablecloth on the table with flowers. The house filled with the smells of pot roast, carrots, potatoes, biscuits from scratch, butter beans and corn, homemade applesauce and bread pudding. We said grace, remembering it is through Him that all blessings flow.

That evening my husband and I, sitting on the front porch, talked about our Sunday and how blessed we are. Hopefully our children will have wonderful memories of Sunday dinner too.

No comments: